Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The ERA Is BACK - and Baby, It Is Hot (Hopefully)!

My friends who are passionate about the Equal Rights Amendment are unyielding on the subject - we have to have it. I fear a backlash - no, I predict a backlash. Worse, I predict lack of interest, especially among young women who have no idea what it was like before the women's movement took on discrimination, harassment and all the other little things that demean women (we now call them sexism). [Does this mean I will be stripped of my feminist credentials?] On the other hand, I've seen people get really excited that it's back - even younger women, who haven't experience the kind of discrimination their mothers did but nevertheless get that it's crucial to have constitutional protection of all their rights. We might thank George W. Bush for showing them how bad it can get.

In solidarity and in trust of the judgment of those I respect (ie, Ellie Smeal and Virginia NOW women who fought so hard for the ERA in the 80s), I will do everything I can to support the ERA in Virginia - either the three-state strategy of picking up the remaining three states (including Virginia) needed to move the amendment to adoption or the new bill that was introduced July 21 to start all over.

This photo was taken at the press event to announce the new ERA bill, with Carolyn Maloney of NY presiding. Carolyn is a terrific advocate for women and her book is chock full of good information. Jerry Nadler and Sheila Jackson-Lee also gave a huge boost to the cause, although we need some moderate voices - please god, send us a Republican or two with feminist cred to get behind this bill. Terry O'Neill did a good job representing NOW - on her first day as national president. Many thanks to LuAnn Smith for taking photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment