Tuesday, June 2, 2009

You Never Know Where You'll Find Courage: Thoughts on Dr. George Tiller

I never met Dr. George Tiller but somehow I feel I know him. I know another doctor who provides late-term abortions and I think they must be very similar - tough, independent, don't like to be told what to do and what not to do. Plain spoken. Honest. You don't provide abortions for women in their 8th or 9th month of pregnancy unless you are very clear as to what is needed and why. Because your life is in danger- so you must be sure that what you are doing is very important.

After I learned yesterday that Dr. Tiller had been murdered, I talked to people who knew him and read articles and statements about him. One thing stood out -this man did a very difficult job because he knew it needed to be done and he had the guts to do it. He didn't wait around for someone else to do it. He didn't turn away. He didn't make excuses. He met a human need.

It helps to know the stories of women who have had these late-term procedures. Imagine - carrying a fetus that was dead. or dying, or so monstrously deformed that life would be short and agonizing. Then imagine you had no alternative but to wait for the contractions, or wait for the caesarean knife. Or wait for the baby to die. I don't know what I would do- maybe I would wait, because I always hope that the worst will not happen, even when there is no hope. But I would not wish that waiting on any other woman. Maybe male politicians can. I can't.

As I continued to think about Dr. Tiller's life, I began to feel he was like Dr. King. Dr. King knew he might not live to see his dream realized - but he carried on. I think Dr. Tiller must have had similar feelings - that he was a marked man but he would carry on. He didn't just provide abortions (actually, his practice provided other services as well and I'm told he helped couples to adopt). He had a vision - that children would be born loved and wanted and that women would have reproductive freedom. He died for the ideals of freedom and of human dignity. Most important, he lived for them. In that way, he was like Martin Luther King Jr. - a person of courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment